Friday, October 20, 2006

Author's Notes #6

Last night, I went about assigning faces to some of the characters so I could see them clearly in my head.

And I made one major change - I changed Curt's name to Corey.

Why do Authors make changes like this that seem arbitrary?

Well, in this case, I changed this character's name because he was going to be a major character, if not the major character. And going around with a name like Curt, kinda made the character a bit more macho than I wanted him to be.

I wanted a character that desperately wanted to play in the NFL but was too small, not fast enough, etc. Not that he's a wimp or anything, just not the extreme athleticism needed for professional Zingball. So he's taken a job in the back office to atone for his lack of ability.

Corey just seemed a better fit.

I'm also rethinking Raqi's name. Though I love seeing it visually, I'm pronouncing it "Rocky" and it's making me think of a woman I used to know who went by the name of Rocky. I want a genderless name for her, to embody the frustration of having the athleticism to play professional Zingball, but not allowed because she's a female. She'd rather be an EMT and use all of her athleticism, than to play Pro-Am ball and outshine everyone on the field.

Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home